Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 2014 - New Beauty Test Tube

So, my New Beauty Test Tube just arrived today! Honestly, at first glance I'm a bit underwhelmed, but I'm hoping that reading the booklet about all the products will help make me more excited about it. Anyway, here's what I got.



Every tube is shipped with a little bag of samples and things. These things aren't in the booklet, and not everyone gets the same stuff.

Immunocologie Treatment Cream VenoMAX 0.5oz -$80.88 
The price for this is INSANE! The full-size is only about 3 times larger than this one, and it's $275. It looks like this is an anti-aging product, and the reviews are really good but for $275 this is something I'll never buy!


Lumene Time Freeze Firming Day Cream .5oz- $3.99
This seems to have basically the same intended use as the VenoMAX, and is 1/20th the price, so this is something I'm more likely to buy if it works well.






YBF gloss in Beachberry - $6.19 
I can't imagine this color being flattering on me, so this will probably go to my swap board. Still, for an extra it's definitely a good one!









DDF Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew - $1.23
I got DDF's amplifying serum in my Birchbox a couple of months back and really liked it, so I'm excited to try this! It's a super-tiny amount, but at least I'll be able to see if I like the texture.

Onto the stuff that was in the booklet. This stuff everyone gets (sometimes there are two items from a brand and it's an either/or situation, but you always get one of the items from each brand in the booklet).

Votivo Candle in Red Currant - (full size) $12
I love the smell of this, but it gives me an instant headache. I'm weirdly sensitive to scents. It's full-size though, so it'll make a nice gift. I have too many candles anyway. It's weirdly sweaty right now, but I'm hoping that's just because it's been in the freezing cold for the last week or so and just came inside.




Pantene Pro-V Keratin Repair Shampoo and Conditioner (1/4 size) - $5.45
I actually already tried these through PINCHme, and really like them. Apparently Keratin is what my hair needs to be shiny and pretty. You can see my review of this here. It's not something new to try, but I'll still either use it or gift it, so it's definitely not a waste.





Biosilk Volumizing Therapy Texturizing Powder (full size) - $12.50
Texture is the last thing my hair needs, so this is definitely something I won't end up keeping. Still, it's full-size, so I'll swap it or gift it to someone.









June Jacobs Papaya Purifying Enzyme Masque (1/3 size) - $26.81
I love masques, so I'm excited to try this! It smells pretty good too, and I usually don't like the smell of face masques. This wasn't in the booklet for some reason. I don't know if that means that it was a last-minute addition, or an oversight, or if some people are getting something completely different.







Mally Evercolor Starlight Waterprof Eyeliner in Sailor (full size) - $15
I don't usually use eyeliner, but this color is GORGEOUS so maybe I'll find a look on youtube that I can use it in. (If you have any suggestions for videos on youtube to check out that use a deep blue liner and aren't too intense, please send me a link!) I've heard good things about Mally, so that's definitely a plus.




The without flash photo doesn't do it justice at all, so here's with flash. It still doesn't do it justice, but at least you can get an idea of the color.








Revlon Age Defying Wrinkle Remedy Line Filler (full size) - $13
Fine lines aren't one of my biggest skin concerns, but I might give this a try. I've got some lines on my forehead (apparently I worry too much) that could use some softening.

Moroccanoil Body Butter (1/4 size) - $13.81
I'll definitely use this. My skin gets really dry in the winter (I know, duh) and they describe this as "an instant makeover for your legs" which my legs definitely need. I hope this does everything it says it does.







The total value of my box was $190.86. 
That's a pretty incredible value for a box that I paid $38.94 for, but honestly, I'm not that excited about it. I feel like I do better with Ipsy and Birchbox. I've heard great things about New Beauty Test Tube, and I'm hoping that some of the items that I'm not excited about will surprise me. If you ignore the VenoMax (which not everyone got, and I'm only interested to try because it's so expensive), there's only one product that I'm really excited about and only two or three others that I'm at all likely to use.

I guess we'll see. Let me know if you've tried any of the products and what you thought.

Keep an eye out for...
Reviews of the items from this box
My Venus Embrace Sensitive vs. Schick HydroSilk Sensitive Care post. (I just received a Venus Embrace from Influenster, and will be receiving the Schick HydroSilk from BzzAgent any day now, so I figure it's a good time for another head to head)
My monthly Birchbox vs. Ipsy post
A review of my first Glossybox, which I'll be getting sometime this month!

Contests and freebies

Enter to win a Bath Path Mineral Sea Salt Soak here

Enter to win a Healthy Star(t) gift set here

Enter to win a beauty box worth $500 here

Enter to win a year's worth of all natural makeup from Birchbox here

Enter to win a year of free samples here

Enter to win a Lashem Get the Look Gift Set here

Enter to win a super fancy bedroom set here









No comments:

Post a Comment