Thursday, December 19, 2013

My first New Beauty Test Tube! (November/December 2013)

I just got my first New Beauty Test Tube and I'm pretty excited about it!
In case you haven't heard about Test Tube, it's a beauty subscription service (just like Birchbox and Ipsy) it's $30 and comes every other month. I'd heard good things about Test Tube, and if you use someone's referral code you get $5 off your first box (if anyone wants a referral, just leave your email here and I'll send you one, that way we both get $5 off our box).
Anyway, here's what I got:

At first glance, I wasn't enormously impressed. There was nothing that I was super excited about trying and there were lots of things that I have no interest in. Once I read the booklet, there were a few things I became excited about.
Here's an item by item breakdown of what I got.


Glo-therapeutics Refresh Facial Polish - $24
I always love skin products, especially exfoliants. I love the Dr. Brandt that I'm currently using, but I'm always up to try something else. This is a good sized product, so I'm really excited to try this!
Dove Nutritive Solutions Daily Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner - <$1
At first, I really wasn't excited at all to see this in my Test Tube. I like beauty subscriptions because they let me try things that I wouldn't try otherwise (and I usually use Dove), but then I remembered how much I liked the Pantene Pro-V Keratin Repair and now I'm excited to try this. Plus, it's probably in my price range, which is nice.
Votivo Candle Icy Blue Pine - $12.50
Honestly this isn't something I'm likely to use. The smell is really pleasant though and the tin is cute, so it'll make a great gift for someone!
Molton Brown Pink Pepperpod Nourishing Body Lotion 3.3oz - $14
This will probably also be a gift. I don't really like scented body lotions. The smell isn't all that strong and it's not particularly exciting to me but it's not bad. It's a nice size, so it'll make a good gift.
Vaseline lip therapy rosy lips .25oz - $3.00
This container is TINY but I have a feeling that a little goes a long way, so it's something I might buy. There isn't much color to it, but I really like the smell and I've always loved Vaseline.
StriVectin-EV Get Even Brightening Serum 1oz - $53
I've never head of this, but after reading the booklet, I'm excited to try it! This product is a good size (over half of full-size) and I'm impressed that I got this in a $30 box.
Midnight Monarch 1.35oz - $2.81
I haven't smelled this yet, but my hands are ridiculously dry this time of year (they tend to crack and bleed) so I definitely need a good hand lotion.
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Straight Fixation Smoothing Cream 1.25oz - $1.50
I don't straighten my hair often, but I've always liked John Frieda products and I'm excited to try this! I'm surprised at how cheap this is too. The full size is only $6.
Lumene Time Freeze Anti-Age CC in Light - $14.99
I'm not sure that light is going to work for me (I usually go with light-medium or medium) but I'm interested to try this. I'm looking for the perfect BB/CC Cream, so maybe this will be the one.
Kneipp Pure Bliss Mineral Bath Salt 2.5oz - $2.11
I never really take baths, but I'm going to be house sitting for my parents soon and they've got a giant and amazing tub so maybe I'll give this a try while I'm there.
Rodial Stemcell super-food facial oil - ?
This sample is so tiny that I have no way to estimate price. If I can figure out the volume later, I'll update it.










Total value = $127.91
I paid $33.90 for this box ($29.99 + $8.95 shipping - the $5.00 discount that I got for using a friend's referral code) and got almost $100 more than that worth of stuff (without even including the Dove or Rodial). I'm not sure about the products yet, but that's a pretty amazing value! There were three items that I'm excited about trying, a couple of items that will make great gifts, and maybe some of the items I don't really care about will surprise me. Who knows. Either way, I'm pretty happy with this box!


Random contests etc:
You can win 5 Joy to the Girls Palettes from Too Faced here

If you're still shopping for the holidays join Ebates. You can make purchases from Amazon, Wal Mart,  Sephora and hundreds of other retailers through their site and get cash back for your purchases. So far, doing my Christmas Shopping I'm getting $20 back.

No comments:

Post a Comment