Sunday, April 6, 2014

Birchbox vs. Ipsy-March 2014

For anyone who doesn't know, Birchbox and Ipsy are both subscription services in which you pay $10 a month to get 4-5 deluxe samples mailed to you. Birchbox has a lot of variety, and includes makeup, haircare and skincare. Birchbox's samples tend to be on the smaller side, but if you review all of your samples each month you get 50 points, which is equal to $5 in the shop. Ipsy has a lot of repeat brands, but they send out a lot of full-size products or larger samples. 

Here's what I got in this month's Birchbox:

Vasanti  BrightenUP 20grams- $5.63 
This is something I'd wanted to try for a while, and I actually got it in my second February box. I'm liking it so far, but haven't decided if I like it more than my usual cleanser.


Corrective Control: Cucumber Seed Cleanser and Oil-Free Healing Lotion - $1.95
I'm never excited to get foil packets, but I'm interested to try these, and I am excited that since it's two little packets of two different things, it counts as two items. So instead of getting 10 points for my review, I'll get 20 points since I'm reviewing both separately.



Keims Peppermint and Macadamia Shampoo - $1.90
I'm never super excited about getting shampoo, mostly because I don't use it that often, this one has sulfates in it, which makes me even less excited about it. I'll probably end up swapping this item.







Coola mineral sunscreen Natural BB Cream - $3.60
I got a sunscreen sample from Coola in my first ever box and hated it. It wouldn't blend, and it felt really gross on my skin. I wasn't at all excited to try thing, but actually found I liked it more than I expected. It provided NO coverage, but it was very light, and it was more mattifying than most BB Creams. I won't use this as a BB Cream, but as sunscreen I like it.


air repair Rescue Balm - $1.08
This was something that I saw in their video and was really excited to try. So far I've only used it on my lips, but it was definitely very moisturizing. It's perfect for winter travel (or just winter).







The total value of this month's Birchbox was $14.16. I wasn't blown away by the value of this month's bag, and there were only two products I was really excited for. That said, I paid a little under $10 for it, and will get $6 worth of points to spend in the shop for reviewing my products this month.

So, on to Ipsy. Here's what I got!


Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick in Get Ready - $7.50
This color is gorgeous, and I love how it smells, so this product is a definite winner for me! It also came with a code for a free sample of their new mascara and free shipping on any order, which is pretty neat.



Chella Indigo Blue Eyeliner - $24
I don't really wear blue eyeliner often, and I prefer the blue liner from Mally color-wise, so I probably won't use this. That said, I like that it's felt-tipped, and maybe if I get into liquid liner I'll change my mind about this. It's hard to complain about an item that pays for the entire bag on its own, and it'll make a good gift!
Pixi Flawless Beauty Primer Mini - $9
I was really excited about this at first, thinking it would be a standard primer. Unfortunately, it's sparkly. It's more of a highlighter than a primer, and for someone with oily skin, that's not a good thing. At all. I'll definitely be swapping this.
NYX Love in Rio Trio - $6
I would've rather had the Bora Bora they were sending out (by Be a Bombshell), but this is a cute little trio. I love NYX shadows, and wish they'd been sending out some of the brighter Love in Rio trios. I already have enough neutrals to last a lifetime.





The total value of this bag was $46.50, even though this was only a four item bag (which a lot of people were complaining about). This wasn't my favorite bag, of the four products, I'll be using one, swapping one, and gifting two. Even the products that I'm gifting are great products though (especially the Chella and the NYX).

My first two matchups make a lot of sense, but after that it's just based on how much I liked the items.

Match-up #1: Lip Products
I like the air repair, but I LOVE the Marvelous Moxie lipstick. The color is great, it lasts quite a while, and it smells really good. This one definitely goes to Ipsy.

Ipsy = 1
Birchbox = 0
Match-up #2: Complexion 
While the Coola didn't provide any real coverage, I still think it'll be something I use. The Pixi on the other hand is going straight to my swap board. This one goes to Birchbox.

Ipsy = 1
Birchbox = 1
Match-up #3 : Vasanti vs. NYX
This one was hard for me. I'm more excited to try the Vasanti, but the NYX is just so cute, and will make a great gift. Honestly though, I signed up for Birchbox and Ipsy to try things that I might not try otherwise, and I've already tried NYX's neutrals. This one goes to Birchbox.

Ipsy = 1
Birchbox = 2


Match-up # 4 : Keims vs. Chella
This is an easy one: Shampoo sample that isn't sulfate free vs. a Chella liner? Chella wins. I won't use either, but at least the Chella is something I can gift.

Ipsy = 2
Birchbox =2




Match-up #5 : Corrective Control samples vs. Ipsy's bag
I don't usually count the bag as anything, but since it was a four-product month, I will. There are things I like and dislike about both of these things. I like that I'll get 20 points for reviewing these little packets. I also like that Ipsy hired a local artist to design this bag. I don't really like samples this size. I don't really like the look of the bag. I'm tempted to call it a tie and leave it at that. In the end though, the bag is giftable and the samples are tiny, so I'll give it to Ipsy.

Ipsy = 3
Birchbox = 2

Ipsy wins!

This wasn't my favorite month for either box, but both had at least one product that I was excited to try.

As always, if you sign up to Birchbox or Ipsy after reading my posts, please use my links. I get a referral bonus any time someone signs up with my links. 

Thanks for reading! If you get Birchbox/Ipsy, what'd you get in March's Box/Bag?

No comments:

Post a Comment